Monday 7 April 2014

Fish


Fish Lamps by Frank Behry at the Gagosian Gallery, Merlin Street in Athens.

Thanks to Olga from Threading Thoughts who alerted me to this exhibition, I visited the gallery and saw Gehry's marvellous, dynamic Fish Lamps. The Fish Lamps evolved when Gehry was commissioned to create objects from a then-new plastic laminate ColorCore. After accidentally shattering a piece of it while working, Gehry was inspired by the shards which reminded him of fish scales. Since the creation of the first fish lamp in 1984, the fish has become a recurrent motif in Gehry's work.



 

The Gagosian in Athens is a small gallery situated in a flat in one of the apartment buildings. I had to ring the bell to go in and found myself in three small rooms. I took this photograph of the first installation





and then another one, looking closer.

The security guard who was taking me around then informed me that photographs were not allowed. He added that I would find better photographs on the internet - much better than I could ever take.





So, that's what I did. The photograph above is from the Gagosian website





and this one is from here.





and here.


There is a magic, dreamy quality to the fish. Gehry's buildings are conceived as dynamic rather than static structures, and the fish have that same quality while at the same time emitting a warm light.



Source:

The Gagosian press release.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you got to see them! I do like your photographs, and I'm glad that you were able to keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olga, they are lovely. The space is not very conducive as it's a flat with very small rooms, but I loved seeing them.

    ReplyDelete